Genome Scanning

Christopher D. Town cdt2 at PO.CWRU.EDU
Wed May 15 09:29:49 EST 1991

I was very interested to read Rob Last's recent note on genome
scanning. We have in fact been contemplating such an approach for
some time to try and get at the molecular basis of our radiation-
induced tumors which do not regenerate plants and defy conventional
genetic analysis. However, we have so far been unable to identify
suitably informative probe(s). i.e. ones present in high copy
number (1000+) and interspersed throughout the genome, as suggested
by the Brilliant article. We have one tumor line which repeatedly
throws off fast-growing variants which are shooty and have very
high cytokinin levels. Comparison of these variants with each other
and with the parent line (as well as with normal plant and with
other tumors) could be very informative.
I would be very pleased to receive suggestions os to possible
probes whwich might be suitable for this.
Many thanks,
Chris Town.