Arabidopsis databanks

COOKE at FRPERP51.bitnet COOKE at FRPERP51.bitnet
Thu Oct 31 08:25:47 EST 1991

A PROPOS DES ARABIDOPSIS DATABANKS (SEEN FROM EUROPE)

        I have just received a survey questionnaire concerning the
development of an "information management system for Arabidopsis
thaliana genome reseach" which is to be based at Ohio and Michigan
state Universities. I am somewhat surprised as I have already
filled in a similar form for a project which appears to be more or
less identical and which is based on the C elegans database.
        I should like to know what are the advantages of maintaining
two such structures, whose development and running seem to me to
require a great deal of time and effort. Maybe somebody could explain
the reasons for developing two such databases, the differences
between the two which justify their independent existences and the
measures which will be taken to ensure that information will pass
freely between the two and so be accessible to all Arabidopsis
researchers. Do duplicate structures of this kind exist in other
genome projects?

                        Richard Cooke
                        Universite de Perpignan
                        FRANCE