Thrips control

liam1 at VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU liam1 at VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Sep 18 12:10:20 EST 1991

We too have had occasional problems with thrips, although aphids
seem to be our major pest.  The compound Orthene (made by Ortho)
works very well for both of these bugs.  It moves systemically within
the plant and kills for a week or so after spraying.  Orthene is also
called Acephate(O,S-Dimethyl acetyl-phosphoramidothioate).  The
UC-Berkeley Dept. of Plant Pathology greenhouse hires a professional
firm to come in and spray with very concentrated (50%?) Orthene,
and it doesn't seem to bother the Arabidopsis very much.  I gather
that non-professionals cannot buy Orthene in such concentrated
formulations, which is why I mention this.  You can buy household
sprays that are 0.25% Orthene, and that can help for treating small
problems or individual plants that you are especially fond of, but it is
pretty useless for heavy infestations.

There are problems with residual pesticide (it's a strong
cholinesterase inhibitor) so the policy is not to spray in chambers but
rather to move infested material to the spraying area.  I should
stress that we really have used Orthene more for aphids (with
excellent success).  However, Orthene seemed to work in our one
experience with a small thrips infestation.  Hope this is of help.

-Andrew Bent