thrips control

HAUGHN at SASK.USASK.CA HAUGHN at SASK.USASK.CA
Wed Sep 18 20:45:00 EST 1991

  We have found that No-Pest-Strips (eg. Green Cross, S.W.A.T.,
active ingredient= dichlorvos insecticide or Vapona) control
thrips quite effectively for several months.  The thrip population
gradually increased when we removed the No-Pest-Strip, so the
population is not eliminated by the insecticide, just reduced to
a level where they cause little damage. We have used this method
for about two years.  There are signs that the thrip population is
more resistant to this treatment than when we started but the
control is still very effective.
  We have had problems with germination and general health of the
plants in our smallest Conviron chambers (0.5 cubic meter) that
were correlated with our insecticide treatments.  When we used
about one third of a strip in the same chambers the problem went
away.  Thus high concentrations of dichlorvos may be harmful to the
plants.