bionet archive

David Kristofferson kristoff at
Fri Sep 6 19:32:56 EST 1991

> Recently there was a posting in this newsgroup, regarding an
> archive of the bionet-newsgroups, beeing held for FTP at
> Genbank.Bio.Net.
> I've tried *several* times, but only at the day of that posting
> i was able to establish a connection to this machine. *all* other
> attempts resulted in the errormessage i'm pasting below. Is there
> anyone around, who can help me with respect to this?
> FTP>connect
> %UCX-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
> -SYSTEM-F-TIMEOUT, device timeout
> FPT>exit

I saw from your posting on BIONEWS/bionet.general that you have
received help here.

> A second question with respect to this archive's: i read a lot about
> 'WAIS'-software to retrieve this kind of information. as far as i
> could follow this, WAIS seems to run on MAC's. Is this or similar
> software available for VMS (or MSDOS), and does anyone know of a
> FTP-site to obtain it?

WAIS is available by FTP to [].

I am not aware of a VMS version, but I haven't looked for one.

> PS: if someone, who collected the past items in this newsgroup, could
>    mail me those, it would be great, too.

You can now FTP the whole file for 1991 from
[] in pub/BIOSCI/ARABIDOPSIS.  Here is a quick demo on
how to do this.  All keyboard input is underlined.  FTP on non-UNIX
systems may differ slightly.  Please ask your system manager, NOT ME,
on how to do this on your system if it is different from the method

WAIS is a nicer method of retrieving messages of interest but
more people probably have access to FTP.

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at
Connected to
220 FTP server (IG Version 5.80 (from BU, from UUNET 5.51) Thu Dec 6 15:54:24 PST 1990) ready.
Name ( anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
         -------- (NOTE: use your user name)
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 216
-rwxrwxr-x  1 143      116        210320 Sep  5 22:10 1991
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> get 1991
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 1991 (210320 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
210320 bytes received in .79 seconds (2.6e+02 Kbytes/s)
ftp> bye
221 CUL8R.