bionet archive

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Fri Sep 6 19:32:56 EST 1991

> Recently there was a posting in this newsgroup, regarding an
> archive of the bionet-newsgroups, beeing held for FTP at
> Genbank.Bio.Net.
> I've tried *several* times, but only at the day of that posting
> i was able to establish a connection to this machine. *all* other
> attempts resulted in the errormessage i'm pasting below. Is there
> anyone around, who can help me with respect to this?
> FTP>connect genbank.bio.net
> %UCX-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
> -SYSTEM-F-TIMEOUT, device timeout
> FPT>exit

I saw from your posting on BIONEWS/bionet.general that you have
received help here.

> A second question with respect to this archive's: i read a lot about
> 'WAIS'-software to retrieve this kind of information. as far as i
> could follow this, WAIS seems to run on MAC's. Is this or similar
> software available for VMS (or MSDOS), and does anyone know of a
> FTP-site to obtain it?

WAIS is available by FTP to quake.think.com [192.31.181.1].

I am not aware of a VMS version, but I haven't looked for one.

> PS: if someone, who collected the past items in this newsgroup, could
>    mail me those, it would be great, too.

You can now FTP the whole file for 1991 from genbank.bio.net
[134.172.1.160] in pub/BIOSCI/ARABIDOPSIS.  Here is a quick demo on
how to do this.  All keyboard input is underlined.  FTP on non-UNIX
systems may differ slightly.  Please ask your system manager, NOT ME,
on how to do this on your system if it is different from the method
below!

WAIS is a nicer method of retrieving messages of interest but
more people probably have access to FTP.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net

genbank<1>ftp genbank.bio.net
          -------------------
Connected to genbank.bio.net.
220 genbank.bio.net FTP server (IG Version 5.80 (from BU, from UUNET 5.51) Thu Dec 6 15:54:24 PST 1990) ready.
Name (genbank.bio.net:kristoff): anonymous
				 ---------
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
         -------- (NOTE: use your user name)
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub/BIOSCI/ARABIDOPSIS
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
     --
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.