Getting seeds from transgen

Rob Last Rob_Last at QMRELAY.MAIL.CORNELL.EDU
Thu Sep 5 10:54:00 EST 1991

                       Subject:                               Time:8:46 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Getting seeds from transgenics         Date:9/5/91
We are having very mixed success trying to obtain seeds from regenerated
transgenic shoots.  We are able to obtain hundreds of Kan resistant shoots, and
can get a reasonable frequency of rooted plants.   However, most of the plants
turn into crispy critters when these plants are transplanted from solid agar
medium to soil-less potting mix (Grace Redi-Earth).  This is in spite of very
carefully watering the plants and keeping them in a very humid environment
before slowly hardening them off.  We also have low success rates for obtaining
seeds from shoots continuously propagated on agar medium.
  From conversations with lots of scientists over the years my impression is
that these are problems confronted by many Arabidopsis transformers.  I would
appreciate any and all suggestions on
      1. how to get rooted shoots to survive in 'soil'
      2. how to get plants growing in culture to set seed
      3. alternative approaches to obtaining R2 seeds
  Please send responses to the bboard.
  Thanks,
  Rob Last
  Boyce Thompson Institute