Resource Center at Ohio State

Randall L Scholl rscholl at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:57:05 EST 1991

Dear Arabidopsis Networkers,

As you may know, the NSF-funded biological resource center for
Arabidopsis is being established  at The Ohio State University.
Its official title is: "The Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center
at Ohio State."  We are charged with preserving and distributing
Arabidopsis seeds and DNA and maintaining an electronic information
service.  We hope that these services will further the research
efforts of the Arabidopsis community and the aims of the
Multinational Coordinated Arabidopsis thaliana Genome Research Project.

The fulfillment of the Center's goals requires the active participation
and assistance of the entire community.  We welcome suggestions and
will continue to seek advice on how best to serve you.  We hope that
contributions of biological resources and information will be given
freely. With your help, we will be successful.

We will be coordinating all of our efforts with the Nottingham
Arabidopsis Stock Center and the DNA Resource Center in Koln.

The Center may be contacted by any one of several means:

1. Regular mail:

      The Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center
            at Ohio State
      1735 Neil Avenue
      Columbus, OH 43210

2. Telephone:     614-292-9371

3. E-mail:        arabidopsis+ at osu.edu

4. Fax:           To be installed in approximately two weeks!
                  (number is 614-292-0603)

We plan to maintain close communication with the Arabidopsis
community through the e-mail network and direct mail.
We will discuss issues relevant to our operation via the Bionet
news network.  Watch for these!  Several topics of immediate
interest follow:

1. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE OF THE CENTER

Three major service facilities will be established at this Center.
These are: 1) A seed stock facility which will collect, preserve
and distribute genetic lines and mutants of Arabidopsis; 2) A DNA
facility which will collect, preserve and distribute DNA stocks of
diverse types; and 3) A computer database which will assemble and
make available information about Arabidopsis, through electronic
means.

While I am officially Director of the Center, two colleagues
share responsibility for specific aspects of its function.  Dr.
Keith Davis of the Ohio State Biotechnology Center is Associate
Director and will supervise the DNA Facility, and Dr. Sakti
Pramanik of the Computer Science Department, Michigan State
University will supervise the development of the Arabidopsis
computer database.  In addition to overall coordination of
the Center's activity, I will supervise the seed stock facility.

You can contact us at the following addresses:

Dr. Randy Scholl              telephone:  614-292-1982
A.B.R.C. at Ohio State        E-mail:     Scholl.1 at osu.edu
1735 Neil Avenue              FAX:        614-292-4466
Columbus, OH 43210

Dr. Keith Davis               telephone:  614-292-2115
Ohio State Biotechnology      E-mail:     Davis.67 at osu.edu
      Center                  FAX:        614-292-5379
1060 Carmack Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210

Dr. Sakti Pramanik            telephone:  517-353-3177
Dept. of Computer Science     E-mail:     pramanik at cpswh.msu.edu
Michigan State University     FAX:        517-336-1061
East Lansing, MI 48824

It is planned that the Center will employ four (able and hard-
working!) masters-level, technicians.  Two of these will
be responsible for collecting seeds, growing plants and
disseminating seeds.  The other two will have similar
responsibilities relating to the DNA clones and
should be experienced with DNA handling and analytical
procedures.

2. SEARCH FOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANTS

With regard to the these positions, we are searching for
individuals with prior experience with Arabidopsis.
Starting salaries are excellent (up to $25,000/yr)!  If any of you
are aware of individuals who might be interested, please have them
contact us as soon as possible.  For a more detailed description
of these positions, please see the job description included at the
end of this message.

We feel that obtaining the right individuals for these positions
is vital to our success.

3. SCHEDULE FOR CENTER STARTUP

Our first few months of operation will be occupied with
organizational matters, collecting seed and DNA stocks and
characterizing these.  We hope to be able to coordinate our
operations with the other Arabidopsis centers so that our
procedures for ordering, stock donation, etc. will be similar
to theirs.  We will be sending communications about these matters
later.  If all proceeds as expected, we should be able to make
some seed and DNA stocks available for ordering sometime after
March, 1992.  More about that later, also!

4. COMPUTER DATABASE AND ITS DEVELOPMENT

An important aspect of our developmental phase will be the design
and implementation of the computer database. We envision that it
will contain detailed records for all of our stocks, a
bibliography of Arabidopsis and a "Who's Who" list of Arabidopsis
researchers.  We will be surveying the community concerning the
precise demand for different services, etc., and will be
implementing the system over a two-year period.  However, the
basic system, available by direct access, should be available by
summer, 1992.

We will be communicating regarding our planning of this system as
time proceeds. IN ADDITION, WE WILL BE DISTRIBUTING A SURVEY
QUESTIONNAIRE AT THE ISPMB MEETINGS REGARDING THE NEEDS AND
PREFERENCES OF THE COMMUNITY FOR THE DATABASE ORGANIZATION .
If you will be attending, be sure to obtain one from us.

5. ACTIVITIES AT THE ISPMB MEETINGS IN TUCSON, ARIZONA

Keith, Sakti and I will be attending the ISPMB meetings in
Tucson and will be sharing a booth there with the Nottingham
Arabidopsis Seed Center and the Koln DNA stock center.  Look us
up and participate in our survey, as mentioned above!

6. MAILING LIST

We have obtained the addresses used for this mailing from
lists generously supplied by the Nottingham Arabidopsis
Stock Centre and Dr. Mark Estelle of Indiana University.  If you
wish to have your name placed on our permanent mailing list,
have your name removed from the list or have your address
corrected or updated, please complete the form below and return
it.  Please include all necessary zip or postal codes!

Name___________________________________  Telephone:____________

Address:_______________________________  Fax:_________________

O  Please correct/update my address as shown above.

Do not hesitate to contact us directly at any time with questions
or suggestions.  We look forward to serving all of you.

Sincerely,

Randy Scholl
Director, The Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center at Ohio State

                  JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

RESEARCH TECHNICIAN - ARABIDOPSIS BIOLOGICAL RESOURCE CENTER AT
OHIO STATE.

We are organizing The Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center at
Ohio State University, where we will be collecting thousands of
interesting mutant lines and DNA clones of this important model