Fertilizers for Tobacco

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 6 17:52:41 EST 1992

In article <01GIJ1C5ELP08X0M0A at PSUPEN.PSU.EDU> MJG at A1.PSUPEN.PSU.EDU ("Mark J. Guiltinan 814-863-7958") writes:

>     Has anyone out there determined the optimal fertilizer conditions for the
>growth of tobacco plants?  I know they like high N but how high?  Any other
>gems of wisdom would be much appreciated.
>
>     Mark Guiltinan
>     Penn State Biotechnology Institute
>     mjg at psupen.psu.pen

1 Liter of Solution A contains:  1 mL of 1M KH2PO4
                                 5 mL of 1M KNO3
                                 5 mL of 1M Ca(NO3)2
                                 2 mL of 1M MgSO4

1 Liter of Solution B conatins:  2.86 grams of H3BO3
                                 1.81 grams of MnCl2.4H2O
                                 0.22 gram  of ZnSO4.7H2O
                                 0.08 gram  of CuSO4.5H2O
                                 0.09 gram  of H2MoO4.H2O

1 Liter of Solution C contains:  7.45 grams of Na2EDTA
                                 5.57 grams of FeSO4.7H20

Mix 1 Liter of Solution A + 1 mL Solution B + 1 mL Solution C; and
add water to make up 2 Liters.

This is half-strength Hoagland solution and plants can be watered
with it daily.  Best to water from the bottom: set pot in shallow tray
of nutrient solution until surface of potting material is moist.

This is how the Wernsman Lab fertilize their greenhouse and growth
chamber plants.  (Tobacco is a way-of-life in this state.)