ABRC Stock Lists

Randall L Scholl rscholl at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 20 19:08:36 EST 1992

                      SEED AND DNA STOCKS

     ARABIDOPSIS BIOLOGICAL RESOURCE CENTER AT OHIO STATE

     We are now ready to receive orders for the initial stocks of
seeds and DNA at the Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center.
These stocks are listed, along with brief descriptions, in five
newsgroup notes that will be posted today and tomorrow. These
listings include; 1.) single mutants, 2.) multiple marker mapping
stocks, 3.) ecotypes, 4.) RFLP bacteriophage stocks, and 5. RFLP
cosmid stocks. The T-DNA transformed/visible mutant stocks and
recombinant inbred lines will be given in the present
communication.

     More detailed descriptions of these stocks will be available
in our catalog which is being mailed this week.  Likewise, the
prototype version of our computer database, AIMS, will have
additional details about stocks as well as the capability for on-
line ordering.  This system should become operational in
approximately six weeks.

     Two type of stocks are not available at this time but soon
will be:  First, The T-DNA seed transformant pools currently being
prepared by Dr. K. Feldmann will probably be available in late
May, but are not on the current list.  Likewise, the Grill/
Somverville and Ward/Ciba-Geigy YAC libraries are currently not
available. Our DNA group is currently working on the YACs, and
they should also be available in a few weeks.  Announcements will
be made as soon as these are ready for distribution.

STOCK NUMBERS

     The stock numbering system we are employing has several
elements which should be explained.  Any stock from our Center
will start with either CS or CD; C stands for Columbus, S for
seeds and D for DNA.  Hence the seed and DNA stocks will be
numbered independently.

     The seed stock numbers will not encode any information,
although the same numbers will be employed by us and the
Nottingham Centre. The DNA stock numbers will have the form
CDx-xxxx, with the digit to the left of the hyphen representing
the type of clone. CD1, CD2, CD3 and CD4 prefixes will be assigned
to phage, cosmid, plasmid and YAC stocks respectively.  This
system was chosen because the storage methods/locations and
handling requirements are substantially different among types of
DNA stocks. Without any other information, Center personnel and
receiving laboratories will know the type of stock in a container.

STOCK ORDERING

     Requests for stocks from the current e-mail lists or any of
the other Center information sources can be submitted by any of
several means:  Specifically, a completed order form (see end of
this message) can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to us. The
addresses for ordering are:

mail:               Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center
                         at Ohio State

               1735 Neil Avenue
               Columbus, OH 43210

fax:           614-292-0603

e-mail, seeds: seeds at genesys.cps.msu.edu  (for seed orders)
e-mail, DNA:   dna at genesys.cps.msu.edu   (for DNA orders)

NOTE: For e-mail orders, type "STOCK ORDER" in the Subject line!

The Center's telephone numbers are:

main number:   614-292-9371
Randy Scholl:  614-292-1982
Keith Davis:   614-292-2115

e-mail:        arabidopsis+ at osu.edu

STOCK LISTINGS

     A. RECOMBINANT INBRED LINES (RI Lines)

Stock numbers CS2001 - CS2222.

Individual lines from F2 plants of the cross Ws x W100 were
subjected to single-seed descent for 7-8 generations.  From
the resultant lines, 152 were donated by Dr. Scolnik of Du
Pont Corp. The last three digits of our stock numbers
correspond to the Du Pont numbers.

CS2223    WS ecotype, Parent of the RI lines.
CS2224    W100 mapping line, lacking ms1 allele, parent of RI
               lines.

     B. VISIBLE MUTANTS FROM AGROBACTERIUM SEED TRANSFORMANTS

          The T3 families of Agrobacterium-transformed seed
segregating for identifiable mutations were isolated.  These
families are listed below and were donated by Dr. K. Feldmann.
The available stocks represent either T3 or T4 families.  It
should be noted that seed supplies are small for a number of the
stocks.  However, all lines received so far are listed and will be
shipped until reserves become too short.  RECEIPT OF OTHER MUTANT
CLASSES IS EXPECTED WITHIN WEEKS.

STOCK NUMBERS   DESCRIPTION

CS2231-CS2254  Late flowering mutants
CS2262-CS2320  Flower mutants
CS2321-CS2353  Reduced fertility mutants

We are pleased to be able to serve the Arabidopsis community.  You
may use the order form below to order any stocks.

Sincerely,

Randy Scholl
Keith Davis

                 STOCK ORDER FORM

          ARABIDOPSIS BIOLOGICAL RESOURCE CENTER
                    AT OHIO STATE

Name (Include title):

Department:

Institution:

Street address:

City, State, zip or postal code:

Country:

Phone number:

Fax number:

E-mail address:

This a new address; please update___

Stock number        Description(gene, clone or ecotype name, etc.)