mRNA assay.2

Vance Baird vance_baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Dec 2 23:50:39 EST 1992

                       Subject:                               Time:12:23 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          mRNA assay.2                           Date:12/2/92
Dear colleagues,
My limited experience investigating gene expression/mRNA has been directed at
monitoring a specific message.  I am wondering if there is an assay that would
give an indication of the relative (gross) gene expression activity following a
particular "stress" stimulus.  Such that one could identify a temporal window,
post-stimulus application, at which it might be best to look for new or
enhanced gene expression (primarily related to the stimulus, so as to avoid
secondary effects).  I imagine isolating mRNA at specific intervals and then in
vitro translating it for 2-D protein gel analysis might be one way; but that
initially seems a bit cumbersome.  I (think I) am look for a
(simple/convenient) way to monitor general transcription, and/or translation,
levels above or below some predefined "resting" state.  Would monitoring RNA
polymerase  activity provide a convenient "marker", or even be feasible?
Thank you for your help ---- BairdW at Clemson.Clemson.edu
Vance Baird -------------- FAX: 803-656-4960
Horticulture Department
Clemson University