tobacco flowering

MORRISJ at WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU MORRISJ at WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU
Thu Dec 10 09:46:57 EST 1992

Hello Netters
I hope some of you work with tobacco too, as I do.  One of my
transgenic tobacco plants has a curious phenotype, it fails to
produce flower buds.  In addition, it has enlarged stipules, and
despite having reduced internodes the plant is quite tall.  This
isn't an effect of the construct, as the dozen or so cohorts with
the same construct all flowered and produced seed.  What treatment
would you suggest to induce flowering?  I suspect there may be an
auxin effect at work here as auxin application delays flowering in
tobacco.

Question two:  Are any of you reading this on USENET? I monitor
the Arabidopsis network both by Email and on our (Washington
State) implementation of USENET.  Surprisingly, (to me at least)
there is almost no duplication as the only messages that appear
both in my Email box and on the bionet.genome.arabidopsis USENET
reader are the ones that originate on USENET.  Please send me a
one line message such as, "USENET yes" if you are reading this on
USENET (in the next day or two). I'd like to be able to
demonstrate to our local systems operator that something is amiss.

Thanks in advance, John
E-MAIL        MORRISJ at WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU
VOICE         (509) 335-1047
FAX           (509) 335-7643
SURFACE MAIL  JOHN MORRIS
              INST. OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY