Questions on terminology & flower development

Martin E. Mulligan mulligan at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Mon Feb 3 07:16:06 EST 1992

I am preparing a journal club presentation on flower development in
Arabidopsis based on the paper by Schultz et al (Plant Cell
3:1221-1237, 1991).  In doing some fast background reading, I have a
question that I would like to pose to this newsgroup with respect to
current or accepted terminology for homeotic genes in Arabidopsis.
Specifically, I have seen the (somewhat whimsical?) term "floreo box"
used to describe the DNA binding domain of the AG protein (Meyerowitz
et al., Dev Supp 1, 157-167, 1991) and also the term "MADS box" used
to describe the same domain based upon comparisons with DEF A from
Antirrhinum.  Is there any consensus among Arabidopsis workers about
the use of either or both of these terms?

As long as I am posting to this group let me also ask - are there any
recent developments in the current thinking about the molecular
biology of flower development in Arabidopsis that have shed light on
the overall models of the process or on the roles of individual gene
products which have not yet been published but which I might want to
mention in my presentation?  Any helpful information will be
appreciated.

Martin E. Mulligan
Department of Biochemistry
Memorial University of Newfoundland