Resource Center Update

Randall L Scholl rscholl at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 3 11:26:00 EST 1992

OHIO STATE RESOURCE CENTER UPDATE:

     This is a quick progress report on the Arabidopsis Biological
Resource Center at Ohio State.   We have received seeds from several
large standing collections and are bulking and characterizing these.
Cosmid and phage RFLP collections are also being prepared for
distribution, and two YAC libraries will be dealt with soon.  In the
near future, a general call for donations will be made.  We expect to be
able to distribute seed and DNA stocks this spring - probably in April.
This will be coordinated with the initiation of the pilot version of the
AIMS database.

     We are currently organizing to receive seeds from Dr. George
Redei's collection.  The tDNA-tagged mutants from Dr. Feldmann
should be available this spring, and the pooled, tagged populations
should be available by summer.  The RI line of Du Pont have been
received from Dr. Scolnik, and will be available upon the opening of
the Center.   Regarding DNA stocks, the cosmid RFLP stocks of Dr.
Goodman, the phage RFLP stocks of Dr. Meyerowitz also should be
available when the Center begins filling orders.  Two YAC libraries -
one from Drs. Somerville and Grill and the other  from Ciba-Geigy
(made by Dr. E. Ward) should also be ready for distributon at that
time.  The complete, current list of donors and stock donations will be
published when we begin distributing stocks.  We thank all of the
donors for their generosity.

     The AIMS database development is proceeding, as mentioned
in the survey analysis recently distributed on this network. We
should note especially that we are cooperating with the new genome
sequencing efforts which have also been recently discussed on the
network.  Current information from these projects will be included in
our system.

     We will be updating you on all of our activities by electronic
news and direct mail.  In particular, we will soon survey the
community, via this network, regarding demand for tDNA mutant
material and RI lines.  Please contact us if you have any questions.