CaMV 35S Expression

caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
Mon Jul 20 14:20:15 EST 1992

Dear Network,

Mark Watson inquired about the expression of the 35S promoter
in Arabidopsis.  We have studied Arabidopsis plants
transformed with a 35S-GUS construct as a control for studies
of a light-regulated promoter (Caspar and Quail, Promoter and
leader regions involved in the expression of the Arabidopsis
ferredoxin A gene, Plant Journal, In press).  The 35S-GUS was
expressed in all organs we examined and varied about 20-fold
in different organs in mature plants and about 4-fold in
seedlings.  Expression was generally higher in seedlings than
in mature plants.  There was no strong light regulation of
the construct.

Organ			[GUS]  (nmol/min/mg protein)
seedling root			21.9
seedling: cotyledon		24.1
seedling: hypocotyl		75.0
mature: root			1.5
mature: flower stem		6.3
mature: leaf			1.4
mature: flower			28.5
mature: green silique		23.9

Contact me if you would like more details.  I can also send
you transformed seeds if you wish.

Tim Caspar
DuPont Central Research and Development