meristem GUS expression in Arabidopsis

June Medford JIM2 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU
Tue Jul 21 08:17:00 EST 1992

Tim Caspar requested any transgenic Arabidopsis expressing GUS in the shoot
or root apical meristems.  My lab has several transgenic lines expressing
the meri-5 promoter fused to GUS.  Meri-5 is preferentially expressed in the
shoot meristem, early in development and then shows expression in the
vascular tissues and recently initiated organs.  This work and the meri
genes were described in a paper in the Plant Cell (Medford et al 3:359-370).
The meri-5 promoter work was at Monsanto, although I made the transgenic
Arabidopsis here.  Folks wanting the seed need to first get permission from
Monsanto (contact Dr. Harry Klee-- Monsanto Co, 700 Chesterfield Village
Parkway, St.  Louis MO 63198).  Please note that we should have other shoot
meristem GUS lines available in the future that will not have the same
Monsanto restrictions.  I'm sorry if this is an inconvience to anyone.
Also, please note that the meri-5 construct expresses in theshoot meristem
and since the root meristem is less well defined in Arabidopsis,I prefer to
describe it's expression as "at or near the root meristem".  Please email me
if there's any questions.  June Medford.