species-specific promoters

csgasser at UCDAVIS.EDU csgasser at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Jul 9 21:03:07 EST 1992

I know of two examples of apparent species-specific promoters
in dicots.  The first is one we have published a paper on
(Budelier, Smith and Gasser, 1990, Mol. Gen. Genet. 224:183-
192).  In this paper we show that a 1.4 kb 5'-flanking region
of a tomato gene (expressed near anthesis, predominantly in
the upper transmitting tissue of the style) correctly drives
expression of a fused GUS coding sequence in transgenic
tomato plants.  In contrast, this same construct produced
maximal GUS expression in an indistinct, vascular associated
region in the receptacle of tobacco.  This is despite the
fact that tobacco contains a homolog of this gene which is
expressed in the style.
The other example is also a stylar gene.  If I remember
correctly, Adrienne Clarke reported in her talk at the Tucson
meeting that the N. alata S-glycoprotein promoter works
correctly in N. alata, but does not work correctly in N.
tabacum.
I will be interested to hear of other examples of this as
well.

Chuck Gasser
CSGASSER at UCDAVIS.EDU