Arabidopsis and transient GUS assays

James J. Campanella jjc4 at PO.CWRU.EDU
Fri Jul 10 11:08:12 EST 1992

Dear Network,

We have tried unsuccessfully to transform an Arabidopsis tumor cell

line for the last couple of months using Agrobacterium methods. One

question that has arisen is whether our DNA is getting into the cells

at all. Since we were informed that Arabidopsis protoplasts are easily

transformed by the PEG method, we have decided to use this alternate

transformation procedure. Before we actually attempt the transformation,

we thought we would spend the time to determine whether we can get any

DNA expressed in our cell line. My questions to the network are:

1.) Are there any published papers using PEG transformation and transient

    GUS expression to examine Arabidopsis?

2.) Is there anyone out there who has transformed Arabidopsis with GUS

    using the PEG method who has not published? How many protoplasts

    did you use in the transformation? How much plasmid DNA did you use?

3.) Does anyone have seeds for a transgenic GUS plant that they would

    be willing to send us? These seeds would help us to develop our GUS

    assay.

					thanx to all.

--
Jim Campanella|"Iron Man I, how do you copy?"
CWRU Bio Dept.|"With a Xerox machine. And you?"