unanswered questions

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Thu Jul 2 10:01:57 EST 1992

In <9207021402.AA08130 at genbank.bio.net>
22676SJG at MSU.EDU ("Sarah.Gilmour") writes:

>It seems to me that a lot of questions go unanswered on the network.  Do they
>really receive no answer? or do people answer to the poster individually?  If
>the latter it sure would be nice if people could answer to the network so
>everyone could perhaps learn something (OK sometimes it would be trivial).
>Alternatively, perhaps the original poster could summarize individual answers
>and post that to the network.  It's not like this is exactly a high volume
>list that we would all get bogged down with useless gossip.

>Sarah Gilmour

Dear Sarah,

You have to remember that the BioSci network is a double-headed system.

USENET METHOD.
The messages are distributed on Usenet, and in which case I can do a
FOLLOWUP which means that everyone gets to read my message. If I want to
answer you directly then I do a REPLY, then no-one sees the reply but you.
The posting of messages is handled by software called a newsreader.
At the momment I am using NN to FOLLOWUP on your message

E-Mail METHOD
The BIOSCI (bionet) newsgroups are also deliverd to a mail exploder
which then distributes messages to INDIVIDUAL mailboxes. To prevent
mailing loops which can be disasterous all the E-mail distribution
lists have been set up to REPLY-TO-SENDER: which means that when you
shoot off a reply it only goes to the original poster and not back to
the E-mail distribution list.

Hope this clarifies matters

-=ROB=-
   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302