Southern blots

BICHGUIL at MIZZOU1.MISSOURI.EDU BICHGUIL at MIZZOU1.MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Jun 23 12:39:47 EST 1992

Dr. Timmer,
   Your problems with Southerns could possibly be due to alkaline transfer cond
itions.  Some nylon membranes (I use MSI magnagraph) are extremely sensitive to
 alkaline transfer conditions.  In my case, I could not even detect large amoun
ts of plasmid DNA using alkaline transfer.  I would suggest transferring in a n
eutral buffer, such as SSC.  Hope this helps,
                                             Tim Strabala
                                             Tom Guilfoyle lab