Reply to Mapping a gene . . .

Robert F. Whittier 101002.2366 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Mar 30 01:21:08 EST 1992

on assigning cDNAs to Arabidopsis chromosomes . . .

     Since estimates for the Arabidopsis haploid genome size run
from 7 x 10*7 to 1.4 x 10*8, one can expect chromosomes in the
size range of 20 Mbp.  I have not heard of anybody succeeding in
separating chromosomes of this size by pulse field electrophoresis
yet.  Until physical mapping proceeds to the point that contig
pools are available for each chromosome, I know of no alternative
but to try to detect an RFLP with the cDNA as probe, and then test
the inheritance of RFLPs among Recombinant Inbred lines.  One set
of such lines (between the Landsberg and Wassilewskija ecotypes)
was developed at DuPont, and they have already published data based
upon these strains (PNAS 89 No.4 pp 1477-1481).  Another set of
RI lines, this one between Columbia and Landsberg, is under
development in England.
     Obviously this method is more work than what you had in mind,
although more precise mapping information will also fall out of it.
Maybe somebody else on the network can make a more efficient
suggestion, or is willing to wager a guess how soon chromosome
contig pools will be a reality.

Bob Whittier
Mitsui Plant Biotechnology Research Institute
Tsukuba, Japan