Genesis of NSF no-dups policy

Chris.Somerville 21847CRS at MSU.EDU
Sat May 30 15:05:00 EST 1992

For those interested in the genesis of the "no-duplicate posposal
policy" I suggest you request from NSF a copy of publication NSF91-
69 (or the short version NSF91-68) entitled "Adapting to the
Future: Report of the BBS Task Force Looking to the 21st Century".
This task force consisting of 20 university professors representing
the various biological and behavioral sciences was convened in 1990
to undertake a critical look at how NSF BBS was accomplishing its
mission and to make recommendations for any necessary changes. In
addition to discussion of the issues by members of the panel, they
considered testimony from 55 professional and scientific
organizations.

Here is one of the explicit recommendations "To reduce the
administrative load caused by duplicate applications and their
blurring of the proposed BIO Directorate's image viv-a-vis the NIH
and other mission agencies, such proposals should not be accepted
for processing by the Directorate."  In view of the amount of
thought by our peers that went into this recommendation, I think we
can assume that it is a done deal.

Among other useful nuggest of advice, they also recommended that an
attempt be made to award "beginning" investigators five year
grants.  I like the word "beginning" because I have consistently
felt as though I am just beginning for the last twenty five years.