RFLP sets/AABRC

Randall L Scholl rscholl at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 28 14:25:20 EST 1992

DISTRIBUTION POLICIES FOR RFLP CLONES
ABRC at Ohio State

     We would like to outline our approach to the distribution of
the phage and cosmid RFLP clones available through the ABRC at
Ohio State.

     We would like to be able to provide everyone with the
materials required for their research.  We recognize that the
needs differ among laboratories, and hence different subsets and
numbers of clones are required for different purposes. For most
individuals, mapping a gene or small set of genes is the goal.
For this purpose, and in the absence of prior mapping data
pertaining to the clone(s) in question, a set of approximately 15
clones spanning the entire genome will be provided.  If the
approximate location of a clone is known (often following
utilization of the original group), a subset known to map to a
restricted region can be provided.

     For the above type of goal, it would be difficult for both
the Center and the receiving laboratory to send our entire
collection of phage or cosmid clones in the early stages of the
mapping project.  In particular, the immediate follow-up efforts
required of a lab receiving the cosmids are substantial, making
this impractical.  Hence from many viewpoints, the outlined
procedure is desirable.

     The standard sets of stocks to be utilized for initiation of
mapping efforts for both phage and cosmids are listed below. You
may use the stock number CD5-1 when ordering the standard phage
set , and the stock number CD5-2 should be used to order the
standard cosmid set.  It should be noted that these are the sets
that have been distributed for this purpose by these laboratories
in the past, and they have worked well. The prefix "CD5" is used
for both of these stocks to indicate that they are actually groups
of clones/stocks.

    RFLP PHAGE STOCKS FROM MEYEROWITZ LABORATORY (INITIAL MAPPING
          SET)

          The clones were tested against all three crosses among
Columbia,
Landsberg erecta and Niedrzenz.

Stock #        phage  Chrom #    Map Pos.
CD1-8          241      1         19.9
CD1-5          235      1         36.4
CD1-16         253      1         68.9
CD1-27         252      1        123.4
CD1-22         336      2          0.0
CD1-37         220      2         25.6
CD1-23         251      2         40.2
CD1-31         246      2         80.1
CD1-48         243      3          7.3
CD1-44         255      3         29.2
CD1-42         249      3         64.9
CD1-57         460      3         89.2
CD1-54         506      4          2.0
CD1-68         226      4         33.1
CD1-65         214      4         60.3
CD1-64         447      5          0.0
CD1-51         291      5         27.8
CD1-79         422      5         62.6
CD1-74         435      5         98.7
CD1-70         211      5        121.3

    RFLP COSMID STOCKS FROM GOODMAN LABORATORY (INITIAL MAPPING
          SET)

          The clones were tested against the cross,
               Columbia x Landsberg erecta.

Stock #        Cosmid  Chrom #    Map Pos. Mapping enzyme
CD2-1          2358      1         14        HindIII
CD2-46         4552      1         80.5      HindIII
CD2-37         4133      2         5         HindIII
CD2-40         4514      2         52.4      HindIII
CD2-51         4708      3         25.5      HindIII
CD2-27         4014      3         83.8      HindIII
CD2-10         2616      4         16.4      HindIII
CD2-13         3088      4         73.6      HindIII
CD2-31         4111      5         22.3      HindIII
CD2-36         4130      5         87.8      HindIII

     For researchers wishing to conduct global mapping efforts,
and who wish to utilize the full set of clones in such an
endeavor, we will be happy to ship as many clones as are required.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this or other
aspects of our operation, feel free to contact either of us.

Sincerely,

Randy Scholl, scholl.1 at osu.edu
Keith Davis, davis.68 at osu.edu

phone:      614-292-1982