NSF proposals

pharrima at NSF.GOV pharrima at NSF.GOV
Wed May 27 09:40:00 EST 1992

          We would like to make longer grants for a number of reasons,
          but there is a rule across the NSF that a program cannot
          commit more than 65% of its current year budget in the
          following year.  This rule was established in order to
          insure that the programs have the flexibility to make new
          and renewal awards should the budget not increase (or
          decrease as has happened occasionally and could happen in
          the future).  An average grant length of three years allows
          us to come in at that figure, while an average length of
          five years would lead to an 80% commitment rate.   NIH was
          moving toward a five year average, but when success rates
          crashed was required by Congress to reduce their average
          length of award to 4.0 years.   We are making more five year
          awards to beginning investigators this year, but it would be
          very difficult to make five year awards the norm.

          Philip Harriman, Genetics Program, NSF