nsf-no-dup policy

dnasser at NSF.GOV dnasser at NSF.GOV
Fri May 22 16:05:00 EST 1992

          Let me inject a very small dose of reality into this
          discussion...While we can and have in the past had three
          panel meetings per year, I was in the minority in the
          discussion for retention of that number. I seriously doubt
          that the majority of program officers would be willing to
          return to three panels a year. However, the three month turn
          around time is wishful thinking. It is often more than a
          month after the target date that the final proposals are
          received by the Program from Central Processing and that
          fact combined with the need to process at a minimum 100 or
          so proposals with two secretaries and one (or in some cases,
          1/2) of a senior program assistant makes a three month turn
          around time very unlikely. Moreover, you should find it
          reassuring that decisions are not rote...Program officers do
          need time to think about them. Relative to the five year
          awards, do keep in mind that each year when you are given a
          budget, the first thing that is done is to subtract out
          continuing committments..Only after that is done does one
          know how much is left for new awards.  A larger number of
          five year awards will seriously skew the system until an
          equlibrium is establish five years hence.   Cheers..DeLill
          Nasser