NSF no-dup policy/a proposal

mclutter at NSF.GOV mclutter at NSF.GOV
Fri May 22 12:29:00 EST 1992

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
To: 21847CRS at msu.edu
Cc: arab-gen at genbank.bio.net
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
Chris Somerville has suggested that the NSF policy change will help to
better dfine a role for biological sciences at NSF and support plant biology
as a whole.  I have two comments/concerns.  First, it is my understanding
that the no dup policy is being put into effect without the other changes (3
month review time, 3 submissions a year) that Chris suggested.  With the OLD
system of review and the NEW no dup policy, a tight squeeze is put on
getting grants.  Perhaps the suggestions from Chris can be added BEFORE the
no dup policy is effective.  Second, I was surprised that only 15% of NSF's
funds are for biology.  Last summer a group of talented high school
students interested in engineering were brought in for a special summer
program here at Penn State.  When asked what type of engineering they were
interested in, over 50% of these talented students said genetic engineering.
Perhaps the engineering folks at NSF should consider this.  It seems that
with such a large number of the talented engineering students interested in
biological aspects, that BIOLOGY should receive greater attention at NSF.
If this last comment would be helpful for NSF biology division, I can dig up
documenting  material for it.  June Medford, Penn State.
              I don't know where the 15% figure was found, but it is
              about right for the BIO directorate's share of the NSF
              budget. However, BIO is not the only directorate that
              supports biology. Engineering has a division of
              biological and critical systems that supports
              bioengineering projects,such as bioprocessing, etc. and
              2 biotech Engineering Research Centers. The Geosciences
              directorate has a Bio. Oceanography program and a
              Division of Polar Programs that support biol research.
              Chemistry and Mathematics also support some bio
              projects. I could go on. I don't know the exact total at
              the moment, but it would be more than 15%.
              By the way, genetic engineering is not Engineering, as
              you know. And, our Engineers at NSF are supporting
              bioengineering as indicated above.

              MEC