duplicate proposals

mclutter at NSF.GOV mclutter at NSF.GOV
Fri May 15 11:16:00 EST 1992

              Mark-
              You have misinterpreted my explanation of the rationale
              for a "no dupes" policy. We have NO intention of
              eliminating support for plant molecular biology or
              biochemistry. In point of fact, NSF is the major
              supporter of plant biology, so it would be irrational
              for us to cease supporting an underfunded area for which
              we have great responsibility. What we are attempting to
              do is to erase the perception that our role is simply to
              provide a service, i.e., a "safety net" for other
              agencies. That is not a "winning" position--and, I am
              the kind of person who likes to win.

              Mary