ct protein import

V442MECZ at UBVMSB.CC.BUFFALO.EDU V442MECZ at UBVMSB.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Nov 12 08:50:49 EST 1992

The chloroplast encodes an intron-containing ct RNA polymerase subunit,
rpoC1.  I'd like to screen Arabidopsis mutants for ct splicing problems.  But
unless the phenotype is leaky, a lack of splicing will result in a lack of
RNA polymerase & therefore a lack of RNA to examine.  This could be gotten
around by transforming the plant with a nuclear (spliced, of course)
copy of the gene with a chloroplast transit sequence on it.
	If I try to do this, how am I going to determine whether or not the
transformation was successful?  Does anyone have any ideas about taggin
sequences that I could attach to one end or the other of the gene such that
I can then screen my transformants to ensure that they do import the nuclear
copy of the subunit _before_ I start generating & screening for splicing
mutations?
	Thanks for your ideas.  Margaret Hollingsworth
			        SUNY at Buffalo, (716) 645-2968