Teaching Arabidopsis Genetics

cdt2 at PO.CWRU.EDU cdt2 at PO.CWRU.EDU
Thu Nov 12 16:04:09 EST 1992

Next semester, I would like to introduce an Arabidopsis cross into our
undergraduate genetics teaching lab, which is currently populated by phage,
bacteria, yeast and flies (and students). I would appreciate any advice on how
best to organize this. What are good markers to use for ease of scoring? How
does the timing work out. Probably one should present the students with
flowering parents at the beginning of the semester and let them make the cross.
Then they could grow and examine the F1 plants, collect the F2 seed and score
markers along with seed samples from the two parents. Depending on the markers
used, these might be scored at germination, in seedlings or mature plants.

Any advice on good markers, suitable strains, timing, protocols would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Town.