Teaching Arabidopsis Genetics

bosborne at INSECT.BERKELEY.EDU bosborne at INSECT.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Nov 13 12:39:40 EST 1992

>> Next semester, I would like to introduce an Arabidopsis cross into
>> our undergraduate genetics teaching lab, which is currently
>> populated by phage, bacteria, yeast and flies (and students). I
>> would appreciate any advice on how best to organize this. What are
>> good markers to use for ease of scoring? How does the timing work
>> out. Probably one should present the students with flowering parents
>> at the beginning of the semester and let them make the cross. Then
>> they could grow and examine the F1 plants, collect the F2 seed and
>> score markers along with seed samples from the two parents.
>> Depending on the markers used, these might be scored at germination,
>> in seedlings or mature plants.
>>
>> Any advice on good markers, suitable strains, timing, protocols
>> would be appreciated.

David Meinke et al presented a superb poster at the recent Plant Genome I.
In it he described the mapping of a large number of embryo-lethal mutations
using, in part, a set of well marked strains. I suggest you talk to the
people at the Arabidopsis Stock Center (arabidopsis+ at osu.edu), I believe
they have the complete mapping set. These could be the basis for a fine
exposition of diploid genetics, together with some "unknown", or unmapped,
mutations.

Brian Osborne