in planta transformation

R Walters mb1rgw at sunc.sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 12:21:07 EST 1992

Hello netland!
We are interested in trying out the _in planta_ transformation which has been
posted by Chris Somerville's lab.  Unfortunately, having less than zero
knowledge of plant anatomy, we would appreciate some assistance:

"When the plants start to bolt (flowering shoot <2cm), we cut the flowering
shoot and all visible axillary buds with a forceps, or a razor blade."

(1) By "cut", does it mean cut _off_, or just make a nick in the side?

(2) What is an axillary bud?

Thanks for any help (and additional tips on using the method?).

Robin Walters.
Robert Hill Institute, University of Sheffield, UK.