Almost time to update the mailing list (plus more admin items) 8-)!!

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Thu Oct 15 19:43:19 EST 1992

Two items of note below:

1) The transition of GenBank to NCBI has kept me out of trouble for
quite a while but I will be in a position in a few more days to start
doing another update of the Arabidopsis address directory.

This time around we should probably atomize the fields so that the
information can be put more easily into an RDBMS if anyone so desires
(we will continue to provide a flat text file for FTP from here).

I know that Mike Cherry and others are running various databases for
the Arabidopsis community, so I would appreciate any input that you
might have in terms of design of the address form.  After the data is
collected and compiled, my goal is to have it be useful to as many
other resources as possible.

2) We are now running on a different machine called net.bio.net.  The
old machine genbank.bio.net is not in use although the
arab-gen at genbank.bio.net address is forwarded to this new machine.  I
would encourage you to change the e-mail posting address that you use

     arab-gen at net.bio.net

We have just brought the FTP archives back up on this new machine and
the ARABIDOPSIS material can be retrieved by anonymous FTP to

net.bio.net   [134.172.2.69]

in the directory pub/BIOSCI/ARABIDOPSIS (case is important here).

Arabidopsis postings as well as all other BIOSCI newsgroup postings
can also be searched through the BIOSCI WAIS source (biosci.src at
net.bio.net).  Note that the main WAIS directory of servers has not
yet updated our source information.  I posted a "fix" to circumvent
this to BIONEWS/bionet.announce a couple of days back and I'll be
happy as usual to assist anyone who has problems.

We also intend to provide complete BIOSCI FTP archives and Gopher
access fairly soon.

I will be at Plant Genome I to give a talk about BIOSCI at 1 PM on
Monday, Nov. the 9th.  I look forward to meeting some of you there.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net

P.S. - Here is the revised BIOSCI info sheet which reflects all of the
new address changes.

      THE BIOSCI ELECTRONIC NEWSGROUP NETWORK INFORMATION SHEET

This is the BIOSCI information sheet for the Americas and Pacific Rim
countries.  If you are located in Europe or Central Asia, please request
that version of the BIOSCI information sheet by sending e-mail to the
Internet address:

                       biosci at net.bio.net.

Introduction
------------

The BIOSCI newsgroup network was developed to allow easy worldwide
communications between biological scientists who work on a variety of
computer networks.  By having distribution sites or "nodes" on each
major network, BIOSCI allows its users to contact people around the
world without having to learn a variety of computer addressing tricks.
Any user can simply post a message to his/her regional BIOSCI node and
copies of that message will be distributed automatically to all other
subscribers on all of the participating networks, including the
Internet, USENET, BITNET, EARN, NETNORTH, HEANET, and JANET.

E-mail Subscription Requests and other Information
questions about using BIOSCI to the Internet address

                       biosci at net.bio.net

As your request will be read by a human, there is no need for special
syntax in your message.  Simply select the newsgroups from the list
below to which you would like to subscribe.

Please be sure to use the biosci address above and **DO NOT** request
subscriptions by posting messages to the newsgroup mailing addresses.
Posting to the newsgroup addresses sends copies of your request to
hundreds of people around the world and wastes network resources.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO USENET NEWS YOU DO NOT NEED AN
E-MAIL SUBSCRIPTION!!  Simply read and post to the newsgroups in the
"bionet" newsgroup heirarchy using your USENET news software (e.g.,
readnews, rn, vnews, ANU-NEWS, postnews).

WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL INTERESTED USERS TO EXPLORE GETTING USENET
NEWS SOFTWARE AT YOUR SITE.  THE SOFTWARE IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, AND
YOU WILL FIND IT MUCH MORE CONVENIENT THAN SUBSCRIBING TO NEWSGROUPS
BY E-MAIL.  Please consult your systems manager or contact
biosci at net.bio.net for assistance if needed.

Canceling E-mail Subscriptions
Non-existent addresses or overflowing mailboxes cause computer mail
programs to send back "daemon" messages which might bother everybody
on the newsgroup.  We will immediately remove any address causing such
a problem, but would prefer it if you would notify us in advance as a
courtesy to the rest of the user community.

Interruption of E-mail Service
becomes inaccessible and causes mail to bounce back to the sender.
This might happen to you if your local computer or network fails for a
significant period of time.  If you notice that you are no longer
receiving BIOSCI postings, it may be because your address was removed
for the above reason.  It will be necessary for you to contact
biosci at net.bio.net and resubscribe.  Due to time limitations it is
not possible for us to check back on troublesome addresses.

List of BIOSCI Newsgroups
-------------------------

NEWSGROUP NAME               TOPIC
--------------               -----
AGEING                       Discussions about ageing research
AGROFORESTRY                 Discussions about agroforestry research
ARABIDOPSIS                  Newsgroup for the Arabidopsis Genome Project
BIOFORUM                     Discussions about biological topics for
                                which there is not yet a dedicated newsgroup
BIOLOGICAL-INFORMATION-
  THEORY-AND-CHOWDER-SOCIETY Applications of information theory to biology
BIONAUTS                     Question/answer forum for help using
                                electronic networks, locating e-mail
                                addresses, etc.
BIONEWS **                   General announcements of widespread
                                interest to biologists
BIO-JOURNALS                 Tables of Contents of biological journals
BIO-MATRIX                   Applications of computers to biological databases
BIO-SOFTWARE                 Information on software for the biological
                                sciences
CHROMOSOME-22                Mapping and Sequencing of Human Chromosome 22
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY **     Mathematical and computer applications in biology
EMBL-DATABANK                Messages to and from the EMBL database staff
EMPLOYMENT                   Job opportunities
GDB                          Messages to and from the Genome Data Bank staff
GENBANK-BB                   Messages to and from the GenBank database staff
GENETIC-LINKAGE              Newsgroup for genetic linkage analysis
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY        Discussions about the molecular biology of HIV
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM         NIH-sponsored newsgroup on human genome issues
IMMUNOLOGY                   Discussions about research in immunology
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS         Requests for information and lab reagents
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION          Discussions about research in molecular evolution
NEUROSCIENCE                 Discussions about research in the neurosciences
PLANT-BIOLOGY                Discussions about research in plant biology
POPULATION-BIOLOGY           Discussions about research in population biology
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Discussions about research on proteins and
                                messages for the PIR and SWISS-PROT databank
                                staffs.
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY      Discussion about crystallography of macromolecules
                                and messages for the PDB staff
SCIENCE-RESOURCES            Information from/about scientific funding
                                agencies
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY             Discussions about research in tropical biology
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY             Discussions about issues concerning women
                                biologists

** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated, i.e., postings
are directed to a moderator (editor) who later forwards messages
(possibly edited or condensed) to the newsgroup.

Posting Messages to Newsgroups
------------------------------

The lists below include the addresses for posting messages and also
the names of the corresponding UNIX USENET newsgroups.  Messages can
either be posted into the USENET newsgroups using "postnews" or
similar software or they can be submitted by electronic mail to the
mailing addresses given below.  In most cases, messages are posted
directly to the newsgroups without editorial intervention.

USENET users who use the "postnews" or similar software on their local
computer should be sure to set the message distribution to "world" or
"bionet" or else your message may not be distributed beyond your local
computer.  USENET newsgroups are read using, e.g., the "readnews,"
"rn," or "vnews" software on UNIX systems.  USENET news software is in
the public domain and is available for most UNIX systems.  A public
domain USENET news software package named ANU-NEWS is also available
for VAX/VMS systems.  Your local BIOSCI node can point you towards
acquiring the softw