Pollen germination/growth

Vance Baird vance_baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Sep 11 08:50:43 EST 1992

                       Subject:                               Time:9:47 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Pollen germination/growth              Date:9/11/92
Does anyone out there have information on
(i) germinating plant (grass) pollen, and/or
(ii) outcrossing autogamous plants [e.g., treatments (chemical?) that kill
pollen but leave the egg alive and the stigma receptive to pollen]?
We are going to make F1 hybrids of goosegrass (Eleusine indica), which
reproduces predominantly by self-pollination.  We are trying to germinate
pollen in vitro, so that later we can confirm that we've killed it!
Any help on the above two points will be appreciated.  Thanks
Vance_Baird at Quickmail.Clemson.EDU
803/656-4953 (-4960 FAX)