unspliced intron

jkreps at biochem.umass.edu jkreps at biochem.umass.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:25:01 EST 1993

Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1993 13:17:13 -0800
From: grheck at macc.wisc.edu
Subject: unspliced intron
To: arabidopsis at net.bio.net

Dear Netters,

I recently sequenced a polyadenylated cDNA that had all but one of its
introns spliced.  At this point I do not have any reason to believe this is
an important alternate form of the transcript under study.  How frequently
do people encounter such phenomena?  Any information would be satisfying.

Just curious,

Greg Heck
University of Wisconsin, Madison

Dear Greg and the Net,

We also isolated a cDNA which contained intron sequence.  In our case only
part of the intron (166 bp out 305) was retained within the cDNA.  When we
used the "intron-like" sequence to probe a northern, we found that the
extra sequence was present in total RNA but at a very low level.  Our intron-
like sequence contained an in-frame stop-codon, so it is not clear what
function it might have in vivo.  We found consensus donor and acceptor sites
flanking the intron-like sequence so we think that it is due to alternative
splicing.

Sincerely,

Joel A. Kreps
Anne Simon's lab, U. Mass. at Amherst