GUS stability

botjlh at lure.latrobe.edu.au botjlh at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Tue Dec 7 04:43:54 EST 1993

In article <9311300750.AA09477 at nature.berkeley.edu.cnr-net>,
djackson at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
> I'm trying to find an accurate estimate of the half life of GUS protein in
> plant cells.  I believe it is between one and three days; I am planning
> experiments where this could cause some problems.  Is anyone trying to
> engineer a less stable form of the enzyme?
>
> David Jackson
> USDA/UC Berkeley Plant Gene Expression Centre.

Concerning the half life of the GUS protein in plant cells, Jefferson et al.,
reported it to be approximately 50 hours in living mesophyll protoplasts
(p3904).

Jefferson, R.A., Kavanagh, T.A. and Bevan, M.W. (1987). GUS fusions:
B-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher
plants. EMBO J. (6). pp3901-3907.

Hope this helps,
Joshua.