Searching DNA isolation methods from plant tissue culture

Ernest Szeideman eszeideman at pnfi.forestry.ca
Tue Dec 21 08:27:16 EST 1993

In article <1993Dec21.103058.16591 at rhrk.uni-kl.de> maren at rhrk.uni-kl.de (Maren Jacob [Biologie]) writes:
>From: maren at rhrk.uni-kl.de (Maren Jacob [Biologie])
>Subject: Searching DNA isolation methods from plant tissue culture
>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 10:30:58 GMT

>I'm working with transformed Phaseolus vulgaris callus cultures
>and I want to start with molecular DNA analysis (southern/dot
>blot).I can't obtain enough DNA (not more than 1.5 ug/5 g fresh
>weight) from a limited amount of callus material with conventional
>DNA isolation methods (Dellaporta>Maize mini prep and
>Rogers/Bendich >CTAB method).
>I`m searching for a genomic DNA isolation method from calli.
>Any help would be appreciated.

>Maren Jacob
>maren at rhrk.uni-kl.de

I have had success with the method by Mettler for isolating DNA from callus
cultures of Larix.  The reference is:  Mettler, I.J.  1987.  A simple and
rapid method for minipreparation of DNA from tissue cultured plant cells.
Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 5: 346-349.  Good luck.
Linda DeVerno
Petawawa National Forestry Institute
Canada