Arabidopsis total RNA

George Karlin-Neumann karlin at CMGM.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 2 23:13:17 EST 1993

Dear Ellen,

    The magic number "7" rings a bell from Northerns I ran some years ago. I
believe these bands correspond to the 4 rRNA bands expected from the large and
small subunits of cyto and chloroplast ribosomes, plus 3 commonly obtained
breakdown products of several of these.  I recall an article from a while back
(I think by John Ingle) demonstrating the derivation of these rRNA breakdown
products from the various rRNAs.  Their proportions can vary somewhat from prep
to prep, but they are all virtually always present.  If you're interested in
details, I could hunt them up for you (e.g. ref. and sizes of the 7 bands).

Hope this helps, George Karlin-Neumann
-------