sequence assembly software

Dan Jacobson danj at
Thu Feb 18 11:10:36 EST 1993

In article <29082 at> veklerov at (eugene veklerov) writes:
>I am trying to locate the existing software packages for sequence assembly.
>The package we are currently using is XDAP.  There are 2 other similar
>packages made by private companies, but they are not available on the Sun.
>I also know that the Baylor College of Medicine is in the process of
>writing such a package.
>Does anyone know if there are other similar software packages available
>on the Sun?
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but you may want to
take a look at GDE (kudos to Steve Smith), which does many things - including
contig assembly.  There are versions of GDE for Sun Sparcstations, DECStations,
and SGIs.

You can get GDE by gopher or anonymous ftp.

Point you gopher client at

select the following directories:

 -->  2.  FTP Sites For Biology/

   -->  18. GDE (Genetic Data Environment)  (Harvard)/

FTP:  anonymous ftp to

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at