Reference for pCIT?

Mike Cherry 726-5955 CHERRY at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 17 20:40:53 EST 1993

Brian Osborne wrote:
>I've obtained cosmids from Ohio that originated in the
>Meyerowitz laboratory, denoted pCIT. Can someone tell
>me of a reference that describes this vector?

I asked the AAtDB Gopher for any entry in the database containing a
word that starts with: pcit* and found the following reference as the
9th result: "Paper : "ma----1992-aagfc".

Mike

---
Paper : "ma----1992-aagfc"
Title    "Vectors for plant transformation and cosmid libraries."
Journal  "Gene (Amsterdam)"
Agricola         "IND92064474. 9211."
Year     1992
Volume   117
Page     161 167
Author   "Ma, H"
Author   "Yanofsky, M. F."
Author   "Klee, H. J."
Author   "Bowman, J. L."
Author   "Meyerowitz, E. M."
Type     "Article"
Abstract         "A series of vectors has been constructed for the purpose \
        of introducing cloned DNAs into plant genomes, using Agrobacterium \
        tumefaciens-mediated transformation methods. One of these vectors, \
        pCIT20, is a plasmid that contains a multiple cloning site (MCS), and \
        a marker (Hph) that confers hygromycin resistance to plant cells. The \
        others are all cosmid vectors which allow insertion of up to 46 kb of \
        plant genomic DNA, and which also contain all of the necessary \
        sequences for A. tumefaciens-mediated plant transformation. The \
        cosmid vectors either contain a Hph marker (pCIT30), or a \
        kanamycin-resistance marker (pCIT101-104). Three of the cosmid \
        vectors (pCIT30, pCIT101, and pCIT103) carry bacteriophage T7 and SP6 \
        promoters flanking the cloning BglII site, for synthesis of \
        end-specific RNAs. The end-specific RNAs may be used as probes when \
        labeled with radioactive or biotinylated nucleotides, for example, in \
        a chromosome-walking experiment. The other two cosmid vectors \
        (pCIT102 and pCIT104) carry restriction sites flanking the insertion \
        site (XhoI) for convenient release of the insert by restriction \
        digests. These sites, in combination with sites internal to the \
        insert, allow the generation of end fragments for subcloning or \
        labeling probes. These vectors should be valuable for isolation and \
        analysis of plant genes, using transformation, library screening, and \
        chromosome-walking approaches."
Keyword  "Agrobacterium tumefaciens"
Keyword  "Cosmids"
Keyword  "genetic transformation"