Day lenghts for growing Ara...

Nadine Smith nmsmith at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Feb 19 17:19:47 EST 1993

In article <19FEB93.17268098.0096 at VM1.MCGILL.CA> you write:
>We are growing Arabidopsis in our groth chambers under 16 hours
>days.  The plants flower much too fast.  We want to obtain more leaf mat
>eral for our work.  In other words, we want a larger rosette
>before the plants bolt.
>Any suggestion on light duration and/or intensity?
>Is there any "instruction guide" for growing and crossing Arabidopsis?

	We grow plants under 8-10 hours of light/day and get
	lots of leaves. If you are isolating DNA/RNA from the
	leaves it is best to use the leaves when they are very
	small as the increase in size as they get older is just
	due to increasing cell size, not number. We've found
	that you get cleaner DNA from root preps than from
	leaves. I hope this helps!

Nadine Smith
Innes Lab
Indiana University, Bloominton