sequence assembly software

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA
Sun Feb 21 19:56:08 EST 1993

little at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Littlejohn Tim) writes:

>>Does anyone know if there are other similar software packages available
>>on the Sun?

>1)	GDE's assembly program (see Dan's posting).  I find this rather
>	unfriendly and underpowered compared to xdap;

>2)	I heard that GCG was working on a Sun version which I imagine would
>	include their assembly component.

another one is the IG-Suite (intelligenetics), it is good, but will put
you back some $$$ (quite a few of them!).  At this time I would not recommend
the IG-Suite.  I just received xdap (ie Stasen package) and so, I
cannot tell you about it yet, but I have heard from many yeasters that
it does the job well.  xdap is a must if you are doing automated
sequencing (ALF or ABI).

I would agree with Tim about the millipore software. ~25k $ (just the
software!) is not worth it ...  a very expensive mistake if you ask
me!

regards,

francis

disclaimor: I do not work for Milipore (;-), nor Staden or
Intelligenetics.  I do have a few aquaintences at IG and at GCG, but
they never send me money.