Plant and DNA stock images on AIMS

pramanik at cps.msu.edu pramanik at cps.msu.edu
Wed Feb 24 18:05:18 EST 1993

               PLANT AND DNA STOCK IMAGES ON AIMS

     The AIMS database has been on-line since the beginning of
this year, we are in the process of adding new data to systems. The
follwing items are NOW available:

1.Approximately 50 images of seed stocks, illustrating the phenotypes of
the stocks in question.

2.Images of the restriction enzyme digest fingerprints of ALL of
our Goodman cosmid and Meyerowitz phage RFLP stocks.

3.Images of the Southern hybridization patterns for approximately
40 of the RFLP stocks, showing comparisons between Landsberg
erecta and Columbia.  These were obtained from Mike Cherry and
Howard Goodman.

     The images can be accessed if you have a workstation
connected to the network.  In the near future we expect that
you can access these images if  you have a personal computer which is
connected to the network and which has X-Windows software (MacX in
the case of Macintosh).  You may obtain information about
connecting to AIMS by sending an email to:

inquire-aims at genesys.cps.msu.edu

type the following in the subject field:

help

the text field may contain any message.

OTHER AIMS and ABRC NOTES:

1. HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGES.  We plan to offer high-resolution
versions of these images in the future, by ftp, for those who need
photograph-quality pictures of specific stocks.  We will be
releasing details of this service on this network in the near
future!

2. NEW ABRC STOCKS.  A number of ecotypes will be made available
within a few weeks.  These will be announced on this newsgroup,
and the descriptions will be entered in AIMS.

3. ORDERING STOCKS USING AIMS.  You may order the above stocks (as
well as all other stocks) very rapidly in AIMS - especially if you
know the stock number. To do this: 1) Select "Stocks" from the
main menu, and then "Stock Orders" from the ensuing pull-down
menu, 2) the choices "Place Order" and "Order Status" then appear -
select "Place Order," 3) in the resulting screen simply enter the
stock number to be ordered, and choose "Order!" from the menu.  At
this point the order has been placed with ABRC, and you may exit
or order another stock. This ordering method has two distinct
advantages - it allows us and you to track your order automatically,
and statistics of orders for all stocks are updated automatically.

     If you have any questions about any aspect of AIMS, do not
hesitate to send an email to:

     aims-manager at genesys.cps.msu.edu

    Randy Scholl

    Sakti Pramanik