Mutant Gene Symbols

BTNYDWM at MVS.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU BTNYDWM at MVS.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU
Tue Jan 19 11:06:00 EST 1993

A comprehensive list of mutant gene symbols in Arabidopsis
was recently distributed with the ABRC catalog and through
this electronic network.  Please refer to the instructions
presented in the detailed cover sheet for this list (title:
Overview of Mutant Gene Symbols of Arabidopsis thaliana)
when you need to name a new mutant isolated in your lab.
You should then contact me (phone: 405-744-6549; FAX: 405-
744-7673; email: btnydwm at osucc.bitnet) before preparing a
poster or submitting a manuscript to ensure that your gene
symbol is not also being used in another laboratory.  At
the present time, this protocol applies only to genes
identified by mutation.  I need your cooperation to make
this effort successful.  Otherwise, we are likely to see
a dramatic increase in the number of mutant gene symbols
with two different meanings.  Editors of journals will
soon be informed of this policy to minimize the chances
of publishing a paper with a duplicate symbol.  Symbols
can be reserved without details on the mutant phenotype
if there is concern about providing too much information
prior to publication.  Comments regarding this system are
also welcome.

David W. Meinke, Curator of Mutant Gene Symbols