Seed sterilization thru microwave

Antonio R. Franco bf1rodri at
Tue Jul 13 03:40:31 EST 1993

Jocelyn Turner asks:

>Hi. Saw your microwave procedure on the Arabidopsis network, and I hope you
>haven't been swamped with questions because I have a couple! Our sterile
>plastic tubes have a capacity of about 3-4 ml. Is that the size tube you use?
>Also, how many tubes can you do at once? If you have had too many questions to
>answer, just ignore these and we'll figure things out.  Thanks.
>                                           Jocelyn Turner, Estelle Lab
>                                              Indiana University

Please, do not hesitate in asking me. Eventually, we can even improve the

I have not investigated myself by trying to use different tube sizes. Mine
are 10-12 ml in capacity. My opinion is that tube size do not have to be an
important parameter, as plastic are completely transparent to the microwave
radiation. Up to now, I have only used 1 single tube per treatment as I did
not need to use more than one tube at once. This should be investigated
further, but again my guess is it should not matter.

Antonio R. Franco