re-forwarded--free internet threatened!

BERLYN at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU BERLYN at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 8 16:17:53 EST 1993

From:	IN%"NCOWDEN at MAIN.RMWC.EDU"  "Nancy Cowden"  8-JUN-1993 16:07:00.79
To:	IN%"TAXACOM at HARVARDA.BITNET"  "Multiple recipients of list TAXACOM"
CC:
Subj:	(Forwarded) free internet threatened!

Date: 08 Jun 1993 16:06:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Nancy Cowden <NCOWDEN at MAIN.RMWC.EDU>
Subject: (Forwarded) free internet threatened!
Sender: Biological Systematics Discussion List <TAXACOM at HARVARDA.BITNET>
To: Multiple recipients of list TAXACOM <TAXACOM at HARVARDA.BITNET>

Forwarded message:
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 1993 16:59:18 PST
From:         Sean O'Hara <SAOUC%UCCMVSA.BITNET at cmsa.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:      free internet threatened!
To:           Multiple recipients of list MGARDEN
 <MGARDEN%WSUVM1.BITNET at cmsa.Berkeley.EDU>

please pass along worldwide.
                               Sean A. O'Hara - SAOUC at UCCMVSA.BITNET
PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER NETWORKS

Most of you are probably aware of a plan to limit free use of
INTERNET to "scientists" transmitting huge files and to start
charging for e-mail.  Apparently, this is the result of private
telecommunications interests putting pressure on the National
Science Foundation.

If this plan is realized, it will mean that the majority of the
approximately 15 million users of INTERNET will be cut off.
Sadly, this is occurring just when the potential of this network
was starting to be realized.

Something must be DONE.  We can not let private interests deprive
us of access to INTERNET.

I suggest that all concerned users register their protest/concern
directly with Clinton and Gore via e-mail.  Their e-mail address
have recently been posted and they are:

Clinton= PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV
Gore = VICE.PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV

In addition, I also suggest that we identify the office in the
NSF which is responsible for INTERNET and register electronic
protests with them.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, especially in
locating the e-mail address for the office in the NSF.

* Carl H.A. Dassbach            BITNET:  DASSBACH at MTUS5              *
* Dept. of Social Sciences      INTERNET: DASSBACH at MTUS5.CTS.MTU.EDU *
* Michigan Technological Univ.  PHONE: (906)487-2115                 *
* Houghton,  MI  49931          FAX: (906)487-2468                   *
* U.S.A.                                                             *

Nancy Cowden
Department of Biology
Randolph-Macon Woman's College
Lynchburg, Va.  24503