INFO WANTED: How to make hard-packed clay soil productive?

Duncan D. Sterling buffalo at wam.umd.edu
Mon Mar 22 22:59:51 EST 1993

TThe soil in the yard around my house consists mostly of clay--so much clay
that the main thing that will grow on it is moss.  I've heard a number of
rumors about lime and mulch, but short of rototilling the yard, and
spending a ton of money on top soil and tiller rentals, what is the best way
to return this soil to the land of the living?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.