Interaction Trap

ZHANG at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU ZHANG at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Sat May 8 15:05:45 EST 1993

Dear All:
    We have been using the Interaction Trap developed by Roger's group
here at MGH to look for partner(s) of our gene AKR for some time now.  The
feeling I have is that this system is extremely sensitive, so that you
have to sort out hundreds, perhaps thousands putative clones.  It seems
that many proteins from Arabidopsis can interact with LexA, instead of the
protein of your interest.  In fact we have characterized one of them
extensively, and this piece of work is being prepared for publication.  We
are still working on what we originally set out to do, that is to isolate
the partner(s) of our gene AKR.
    I am using the library constructed by others, I do not have my own!  I
suggest that if the interests are high in using this system, then we
should contact a company, say Stratagene, to see if they are interested in
commercializing it.  The key to this system is to have a good library, but
making a good library is costly and time-consuming.  Even when you have
made a library, it is not like a lambda library which let you have the
abundance to share with everyone, only those early "requesters", before it
runs out.  If no company is willing to do it, then we have to do it
ourselves.  If anyone has a library (good or bad) and is willing to share
with others, put my name on your mailing list.  I plan to make one in the
near future, and we will be happy to share it with anyone who requests,
when it is made.
Hong Zhang
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital