Identification of ethylene mutants?

Steve Szarka sjszarka at ACS.UCALGARY.CA
Mon May 17 22:42:22 EST 1993

I am presenting a paper for a local journal club, and have chosen
"CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in
Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the Raf family of protein
kinases". Authors: J. Kieber, M. Rothenberg, G. Roman, K.
Feldmann, and J. Ecker. Cell 72: 427-441.

I would like to fill in the pathway as much as possible.
So I am asking for any information on the ethylene mutants which
are mentioned in the paper but not discussed.

These include: ein1 - a single gene dominant locus which is
insensitive to ethylene.
               ein3 - a single gene recessive locus which is
insensitive to ethylene.

               ein2 - which was mentioned but not tested in
double mutants to identify its relative location within the pathway.

The information I would like to fill in the pathway is as

1. Has ein2 been localized in the pathway with ein1,ctr1, and

2. Has any of the ein genes been isolated?

3. Do they have a sequence which is consistent with the protein
kinase ctr1 gene? ie. Do the other signal transduction components
also suggest a phosphorylation cascade as the mechanism?

I am not interested in very hot current results (as this is only
a local paper review). Also, since I don't work on any aspect of
ethylene biosynthesis or signal transduction; any information
or insight which is not obvious in the literature would be
greatly appreciated.