Identification of ethylene mutants?

Steve Szarka sjszarka at ACS.UCALGARY.CA
Mon May 17 22:42:22 EST 1993

I am presenting a paper for a local journal club, and have chosen
"CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in
Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the Raf family of protein
kinases". Authors: J. Kieber, M. Rothenberg, G. Roman, K.
Feldmann, and J. Ecker. Cell 72: 427-441.

I would like to fill in the pathway as much as possible.
So I am asking for any information on the ethylene mutants which
are mentioned in the paper but not discussed.

These include: ein1 - a single gene dominant locus which is
insensitive to ethylene.
               ein3 - a single gene recessive locus which is
insensitive to ethylene.

               ein2 - which was mentioned but not tested in
double mutants to identify its relative location within the pathway.

The information I would like to fill in the pathway is as
follows:

1. Has ein2 been localized in the pathway with ein1,ctr1, and
ein3.

2. Has any of the ein genes been isolated?

3. Do they have a sequence which is consistent with the protein
kinase ctr1 gene? ie. Do the other signal transduction components
also suggest a phosphorylation cascade as the mechanism?

I am not interested in very hot current results (as this is only
a local paper review). Also, since I don't work on any aspect of
ethylene biosynthesis or signal transduction; any information
or insight which is not obvious in the literature would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve