T-DNA tagged mutants

caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
Mon May 24 11:28:29 EST 1993

As discussed previously by Kevin Pyke and Ken Feldmann, there
seems to be some discrepancy between the estimates of the
frequencies of tagged genes identified in the T-DNA mutant
collections.  Ken cited two papers in press which deal with
large numbers of T-DNA mutants and show 35-40% cosegregation.
I would be interested in how these studies were done.
Depending on how the experiments are set up, cosegregation
can imply as little as linkage on the same chromosome arm or
very tight genetic linkage.  For example, one common method
for determining cosegregation is to screen for mutants in a
segregating F2 populations and then determine whether they
are all kan resistant (or make nopaline).  However, since
both the kan and nopaline markers are dominant, this approach
is not robust in differentiating between truly tagged genes
and just a closely linked T-DNA.  For example, if the T-DNA
is 2 cM from the gene of interest, Kan sensitive mutants
would be present in the F2 population at a frequency of only
1/10,000.  (For 10 cM, the frequency rises to 25/10,000.)
Obviously, it is very difficult to establish tight linkage
using this approach for most mutants.  A better way to
differentiate between tight linkage and tagging is to
progeny-test mutant individuals from the F2 population and
determine whether they are all 100% kan resistant (i.e.
showing that the F2 was homozygous for the Kan gene).  For
example, if the T-DNA is 2 cM away from the mutated gene, and
mutants are identified in the F2 and their F3 progeny tested
for kan resistance, then about 1 out of 24 of the F3 lines
will segregate kan sensitive individuals, correctly
indicating that the gene is not tagged.

I used to think that 2 cM was so close that the gene would
definitely be tagged if the T-DNA was that close.  However,
one of the mutants we have identified appears to be separated
from the T-DNA by about 1.2 cM.  (We found 3 out of 122
mutant F2 plants which when progeny tested segregated 25% kan
sensitives.)  These results could also be due to a low
frequency of inactivation or deletion of the kan and nopaline
genes.  Has anyone else seen this kind of instability in a
mutant which is definitely tagged or this kind of apparently
very tight linkage between an untagged mutant and the T-DNA?
We are currently testing whether the T-DNA in the apparent
segregants has simply been inactivated (e.g. by methylation).

Our overall experience with identifying tagged mutants is
similar to what Kevin Pyke described.  From the T3 lines Ken
Feldmann developed at Dupont we have identified 13 mutants
with heritable phenotypes.  Of these 13, 8 lines segregated
with normal ratios in the T3 populations (i.e. about 25%
mutant), 2 of the other lines were all mutant in the T3 and
the other 3 lines had very low numbers of mutants.  Of these
13 lines, 8 are clearly not tagged with active T-DNA's (i.e.
giving nopaline production or Kan resistance) and the other 5
are probably not tagged, but we are still working on them.

Tim Caspar
Dupont Central Research