amyloplasts, statoliths & mutants

Peter at carrot.mcb.uconn.edu Peter at carrot.mcb.uconn.edu
Mon Nov 1 19:19:56 EST 1993

Until last week I thought that the perception of the gravitational field by
statocytes in the root cap was one of the few solved puzzles in the
gravitropic response.  However, I learned during a discussion that starch
free Arabidopsis mutants (which, I assume cannot use amyloplasts as
statoliths) do have a gravitropic response (although I read in the
Salisbury and Ross' plant physiology textbook that the response is slower).
Has anyone looked at the ultrastructure of the root cap in the mutant?
Does anyone have a convincing idea to save amyloplasts as statoliths?

Peter Gogarten
Peter at carrot.mcb.uconn.edu