How to map a gene (responses)

Mark Guiltinan Mark_Guiltinan at AGCS.CAS.PSU.EDU
Thu Nov 11 15:02:39 EST 1993

Several weeks back I posted a question of how to map a new gene (who has RFLP
inbreds etc).   Thanks to all who responded.  Many people were very interested
in this question and just wrote to ask for the answers, so here are all of the
the responses I got with answers.

Mark Guiltinan
Penn State Biotechnology Institute
mjg at psupen.psu.edu

Message for Mark Guiltinan

From: 	GLAZEBROOK at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Date: 	Fri, Nov 5, 1993 10:39 AM
Subject: 	RE: How to Map a New Gene
To: 	Mark Guiltinan

Dear Mark,
For cloned genes, the easiest way to get a really good map position is use the
recombinant inbred lines from Caroline Dean's lab.  They were just described as
a technical advance in the latest Plant Journal.  I'm not sure if any of the
staock centers have them, or if you have to get them from the Dean lab.  You
have to find a col/La-er polymorphism in your gene, and then either make it
into a CAPS marker (see Konieczny and Ausubel, plant journal issue one before
the current one) or use it as an RFLP, then type the recombinant inbred lines
for your gene.  By comparing to the known map data for the recombinant inbred
lines, you can work out where your gene is.
Jane Glazebrook

Message for Mark Guiltinan